Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Re·spon·si·bil·i·ty

Responsibility. According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, responsibility is defined as "the state of being the person who caused something to happen" and "a duty or task that you are required or expected to do."

From when I was a child, my parents tried to instill the principle of responsibility in me. I was told, "Clean up your mess," and "Clear your plate." And the question I heard most every night, "Did you get your homework done?" And the funny thing is that, as kids, we felt burdened by what little responsibilities we were given.

As I reflect back on my college experience at Regis, I am dumbfounded about the little responsibility I had back then. Sure, I had a lot of schoolwork taking 16 to 18 hours per semester. And there was my work/study job. Besides those two responsibilities, the only things I HAD TO DO was my laundry (I bought a ton of extra underwear to prolong the necessity of doing it) and cleaning up my dorm room (which was only thoroughly cleaned when my roommate's or my parents were coming.) The question, "What's for dinner?" was answered by what was being served in the dining hall. I loved having a meal plan. The sad thing is that I didn't realized what a carefree life I had back then.

According to the same dictionary, responsibility also means "the state of having the job or duty of dealing with and taking care of something or someone," or "the quality of a person who can be trusted to do what is expected, required, etc."


Towards the beginning of my career I took a maternal sabbatical. I was very fortunate that my husband's job and our decision to live a modest lifestyle allowed me the opportunity to stay home with our daughters when they were little. Since my oldest daughter was born, motherhood has been my greatest responsibility.  Seeing how well the girls have turned out thus far has been one of my husband's and my greatest achievement. But our job is far from over with those two.

Wanting a job with more responsibility, I have gone back to college. My responsibilities are much greater during this round of college. Besides motherhood, my simple dorm room has been replaced by a four bedroom house that needs daily cleaning. I AM the meal planner, and unlike college, cereal for dinner is no longer acceptable. The laundry has increased greatly (the underwear trick doesn't work because the girls need their school uniforms washed weekly).

It sometimes seems like my two worlds have collided--my parenting and academic responsibilities don't mesh. For example, my daughter's confirmation ceremony landed during finals week last quarter. I was trying to find time to study while entertaining a number of out of town guests. Once my assignment was late, not because I was lazy or I was out partying, but because I was taking care of my sick daughter.

Yes, balancing family and school responsibilities can be challenging at times, but I am confident that it will be worth it in the end. To me, all my responsibilities are no longer burdensome, but rather empowering and something I look at with pride.

4 comments:

  1. I have a lot of respect for mothers who work and or go to school. I couldn't imagine doing it. I like the photos you posted.

    The only thing I noticed, is perhaps a length issue. I can see how each element you added was pointing toward responsibility, but maybe use one comparison? Just a suggestion=)

    Good stuff and very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this in how I took my lack of responsibilities in high school for granted, instead thinking I was under so much pressure. I also relate to cereal for dinner - for me, cereal has always been a midnight snack, not breakfast.

    It also seems like a lot of families are pursuing a more modest lifestyle to give themselves more family time, and I think that's a wise choice that will have a lot of positive social consequences.

    Good focus on this post; you followed a clear theme. I like the use of definitions to guide it, and also the humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the things in my life but then I realize that many people have a lot more on their plate than I do. I admire your ability to balance all of these things, and you seemed as if you have accomplished a lot in your life thus far. I think a lot of people would probably just give up if they had got this far. But the way you raise your daughters, maintain a household, and continue to strive for more really is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post. I personally felt the length was fine, but then I enjoy longer posts, so...

    I have one question, though... what exactly is wrong with having cereal for dinner? That's a "vice" I've been known to engage in from time to time, LoL.

    ReplyDelete