Total Pageviews

Monday, May 30, 2011

Distractions

Credit: www.chicagonow.com/blogs/the-tire-guy
If I don't get distracted, I am going to write my blog in a timely manner. Sure there is a ton of laundry to be done. I have gifts to wrap for upcoming events. I am certain there is something good on TV.  Facebook is on the next internet tab (someone probably posted something interesting since the last time I looked 2 minutes ago.) I just noticed that the bookshelf needs dusting. There is a fresh new bag of potato chips in the pantry and some lemonade in the fridge calling my name. But no, I am going to focus and give my blog my full attention.

I would have gotten my blog done earlier today but it was beautiful outside, so it would have been a shame to waste it inside all day. Besides I needed to run and get a few things at Walmart. I was wrapping a project for my daughter's school. Oh, my dog needed to go for a walk. Enough excuses--wait, I mean distractions.

There were plenty of distractions back when I was a student at Regis. There were friends stopping by in the dorms, an impromptu flag football game in the quad or watching Oprah in the afternoon (I guess I won't have that excuse anymore.) Having an afternoon nap after my classes was a popular distraction. We had primitive computer games to play if you were really trying to avoid the task at hand.

Call me crazy, but it seems like the distractions keeping me from focusing on schoolwork has increased three fold this time around. As established in a previous blog, being a college student living on campus, I only real job was to be a student. Being a mother and all the duties that comes along often keep me from getting my schoolwork done. Okay, sometimes I am multitasking, but often I am putting off doing my homework.

Credit: www.blogtrafficexchange.com




Beyond the interruptions that comes with motherhood, modern technology is a major distraction. The pathetic computer games of my college days didn't capture your attention for long. Now there is e-mail to read, internet to search, Facebook to check (which could potentially could lead to playing Facebook games like Farmville etc.) The cell phone is another media distraction with its texting and endless apps.  I guess I am glad I didn't have all this technology to distract me when I was at Regis--I am sure my grades benefited from that.

Another distraction I have to fight off, crazy random thoughts...like this poem I composed for this blog:

I am writing my blog on blogger.
I would rather be playing frogger.
What is the average salary of a logger?
What else rhymes with blogger?

Time to conclude this blog because there is someone at the door.  My daughter is texting me because she needs to get picked-up. The oven timer going to buzz soon. The list goes on...distractions have been and always will be part of our lives. They tell me that with good time management skills and ability to stay focus, one can complete the task at hand. We will see...

credit: www.dailyblogging.org/blogging/avoid-unwanted-distractions-while-writing-a-post/

2 comments: